Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Weeping on the inside by Russ

On one of the Wife's many plane rides she noticed that the lead article in the US Air magazine was about Madrid Spain.  Since Madrid is on our short list of places to see, she nicked the magazine.  (Not that we will get there anytime soon, but we can dream.)

I read the article (and the next one about the Blue Ridge Pkwy in western NC, which we are far more likely to see in the near term).  Since I had already finished my homework for the week and Miss L was still sleeping, I continued reading.  I got to the end and looked at all the concourse layouts for the different airports, what movies were being shown on the longer flights, and what is playing on the 'radio stations'.

It's that last one that got me.  Most of it was crap I have never heard of, mostly alternative, new age, and techno.    The classical music (spelled classique, because that makes it sound more uppity) had some stuff I would listen to, the jazz station looked good, the premium blend was all over the place (top 40, 80's, country, etc).  But then came the 'oldies' station.

Oldies.  That's like do wop and other 50's type music.  The popular music that my dad listened to when he was young, now it's NPR or classical (or classique).  Nope, this one was "Born to Run" by Springsteen, "Livin' on a Prayer" Bon Jovi, "Satisfaction" Rolling Stones, "Let's Dance" David Bowie, "Shiny Happy People" R.E.M., and the list goes on.  Now, not all of those are songs that I like (particularly R.E.M., I can't stand that whiny ass band), but I'm not old enough for the songs of my youth to be considered 'oldies'.

"Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"  is not an oldie.  Dear Lord, why?

5 comments:

Blondefabulous said...

Oh please.... I felt that way the first time I heard Starship used in a commercial to advertise multivitamins! (It was several years ago.)

Leslie said...

The blasphemy in there is stunning. Poor *sobs* unloved *sniffle* REM.

Bijoux said...

The cruelty of it all.........remember when I posted about seeing that Mazda RX7 with historical plates??

SFD said...

Reminds me of the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit on a "classic rock" station. Sad day.

Pearl said...

My father told me that I would know I was old the day the music of my teen years was on the Golden Oldie station.

:-)

Uh-oh!

Pearl